Sunday, March 18, 2018

5B Classroom News: Week of March 12th

A note from Mrs. Burke:
Congratulations to Larkyn and Nolan for their performance in the OQS Musical.  Their acting skills were very impressive!












 Language Arts:
This week the students read their monologues aloud as part of their performance task for the language arts program we are piloting this year.  Their monologues were based on an event from the book Esperanza Rising. Each student wrote a monologue from the perspective of a character in the book. The goal was to read their monologues fluently.  They showed a lot of perseverance and did what good readers do:  They read at a good speed, if they made a mistake they self corrected, and they read with expression.  I am very proud of all of them!  Their writing was outstanding, and getting up in front of an audience to perform was not easy as most were very nervous. They exceeded my expectations. Thank you to all who could join us for this very special event.  The students have posted their responses below to this prompt:

What was the highlight of the monologue presentation for you?  Why?


The highlight of the monologue reading was when someone messed up and
they started to laugh because it was amazing to see everyone’s face light up!
        -- Paige

The highlight of my monologue presentation was probably the threat to strike.
Also the scene and the backdrop.
-Logan

My highlight for the monologue was not messing up because I was very
nervous and worried I would say something wrong or mess up.  
-Ella

My highlight of the monologues is when I messed up when I was reading.  I was
able to fix the mistake and I noticed others doing the same. It was really
amazing to watch my friends read their work.
-Bennett

The highlight of the monologue presentation for me was just being able to
present because we don’t usually get the opportunity to share what we
are working on with our parents.
~Lucy

Mine was being able to perform for everyone.
I was nervous. I think I still did good.
-Makayla

In Language Arts we presented the monologues that we wrote in front of an
audience. Many parents came to watch my peers perform wonderfully. We had
a few unexpected visitors such as teachers. I had so much fun finally getting to
present my monologue after waiting so long. I read the role of Mrs. Uvas who
choose Janet to be Queen of the May, instead of Isabel who had the best grades in the school. This is really unfair because the Queen of the May is supposed to be based on grades. I had a great time working on my monologue with my friends. I hope that the students in the future who get to do this project enjoy doing it because it was really fun.
~Cordelia

The highlights of the monologue presentation, for me, were the props
and the effort that was put into it.
----Addyson

The highlight for me was an opportunity for me not to be shy.
- Sophia

Reading my monologue fluently.
-Julian

The highlight of my monologue presentation was getting to present in front of my Mom. This was my highlight because I was happy that I could show my Mom the work I had been doing and make her proud.
-Nolan

We read our monologues and it was awesome.
- Larkyn

Everyone performing and being so brave.
~Colby

I enjoyed presenting in front of a  audience, but just overall I would say
the whole thing in general it was a lot of fun, even if our parents were not there.
-Faith

The highlight of monologues for me was imagining what I was reading.
It was fun to do that and I wish we could do it again.
~Jocelyn

I don’t have a single highlight. I loved it all, every last part of it.
---Alexander


It was fun to see adults facial expressions.
-Chandler

To celebrate their monologue performance, the students made yarn dolls.  A yarn doll was made by a character in the book, Esperanza Rising. The students had a lot of fun making them!









No comments:

Post a Comment