Saturday, March 3, 2018

5B Classroom News: Week of Feb. 26th

A note from Mrs. Burke:  
This week students are reporting about our "I Love to Read" theme this week at school as well as their visit with sled dogs.  A few of our students were featured in a couple of events to support the "I Love to Read" week.  Congratulations to Addy, Cordelia, and Nolan whose bookmarks made it to the final round of voting, and to Nolan whose bookmark was the winner for the school!  I'll feature pictures of these students with their winning bookmarks next week. Also, congratulations to Bennett, Lily, and Nolan for their participation in the OQS Grand Spelling Bee on Thursday night:







I Love to Read!
On Wednesday the theme was "Dress Up As Your Favorite Book Character."  Many students in 5B took part.  Take a look:



I dressed up as James. The name of the book is James and the Giant Peach.  This book is my favorite is because of all the fun characters in the book.
-Ella

It was a fun day and it was fun to dress up. I was Obi-Wan-Kenobi from the book Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back.
-Chandler

Faith as Jane Goodal from Jane Goodal's biography.

I dressed as 11:00 from stranger things and the book Notes from the Upside Down. 11:00 has a power that she can move things with her brain and whenever she does that she gets a bloody nose. For my costume I had to put on a bloody nose and everybody thought I actually had a bloody nose.
-Makayla

I dressed up as Hazel Grace Lancaster from the book The Fault In Our Stars by John Green.  This book is one of my favorites because the book is both sad and funny.
---Addyson

Sophia as Jane Hannah  from the book Pretty Little Liars.


One of my favorite types of books is adventure. That is why the character that I dressed up as was Magnus Chase the book that it is from is called Magnus Chase by Rick Riordan. He is the author of the series The Heroes of Olympus and The Trials of Apollo.
-Cordelia

The book character I dressed up as yesterday was Bobby Orr. The book I read that he was in was called Orr: My Story. This book is about his life from growing up in Canada to playing in the NHL as a teenage and adult star. This book is one of my favorites because it is about one of my idols.
-Nolan

I dressed up as Rodrick Heffley from Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  This book is one of my favorites even though I don’t read the series anymore.
-Bennett

I was Roxy from the book Born To Dance.
- Larkyn

I dressed up as my favorite book character on Wednesday. I dressed up as a minion with Paige (I was Stewart and Paige was Bob). The name of the book is called MInions. The reason we dressed up as minions (Stewart and Bob) was because both minions are both inspiring through their personality, and they’re both hands on.
-Lyssette

I dressed up as Penelope Torrez from the books Awkward and Brave. The book Awkward is about a girl named Peppi that takes part in the Art club. Unfortunately, there is a Science club that does not have good history with the Art members. The School Festival is coming up, but there is only one table available this year. Both clubs are trying to win the table, but the principal thinks otherwise. He suspends activities in the clubs temporarily. Peppi gets other clubs to help. In the end, they work together.
-Lily

Here are students enjoying reading in the gym with the whole school on Friday as part of Reading Across America:











Iditarod:
The students are learning about the Iditarod, a sled dog race in Alaska that starts on Sunday.  As part of this unit, on Tuesday sled dogs visited our school and the students learned about how the dogs are cared for and sled dog racing.  They had a great time interacting with the dogs!  




   






What I learned while visiting the sled dogs was how to put a harness on a sled dog. Also, that all dogs like being eye to eye with people and they like being scratched on the back of their ear. They were so nice.
~Logan



The sled dog I got with is so so so so so soft his nickname was fluffy cuffy
~Colby




I learned that sled dogs have to be the same size as you for them so they feel safe.
-Sophia

We got to have sled dogs come to our school and we put their harnesses on them. Then we watched the other dogs the people brought run a track they made before we went out to play with the dogs. It was fun to see the dogs run and also fun to put the harness on them. The dog that I put the harness on is named Juno. She was cute and fun to be around. I loved when she licked my face, which happened a lot.  When she got used to me. That is what happened with the sled dogs.
~Jocelyn

I LOVED the huskies. I got to pat one named Juno.
-Chandler

I learned that the sled dogs run best in the cold and don’t actually need help staying warm because of their fur.
-Bennett

I learned that the sled dogs sleep on straw on the trail and have to wear special harnesses.

---Addyson







What I learned about the sled dogs is that they sleep in straw because the straw is hollow meaning the air is trapped in the the straw to keep them warm.
-Ella









I learned that a Siberian husky named Kuff loves me. I also learned how to put a harness on a sled dog.
-Alexander










No comments:

Post a Comment