Saturday, March 10, 2018

5B Classroom News: Week of March 5th

A note from Mrs. Burke:
Congratulations to Addy, Cordelia, and Nolan for their bookmarks being selected for the final round of voting during our "I Love to Read" week at the end of February, and to Nolan whose bookmark was voted the winner for the entire school!  Below you will find pictures of these students with their bookmarks.





Iditarod:
Students continued following the Iditarod dog sled race this week that is taking place in Alaska.  We held an Iditarod draft and each student is on a Fantasy Iditarod team that consists of 5 mushers. Here are the 5B Fantasy Iditarod Teams:












On Friday, the 5th graders presented their fantasy Iditarod teams to the 3rd and 4th graders during our Community Meeting time.  They did a nice job explaining how they picked their teams as well as information about each of the mushers on their team.  Take a look...
















   
Each student created a data disk about their musher. These are now hanging on our Iditarod bulletin board in the hallway outside of our classroom. Please check it out when you come to parent/teacher conferences (I'll be emailing you soon to sign up for a conference).  On this bulletin board students are tracking where their musher is in the race. They are also participating in a reading challenge, called the Idita-Read, where they are trying to read as many minutes as the Iditarod trail is long (one minute of reading equals one mile on the trail).  They are keeping track of this on the bulletin board, too.  Here is a little bit about what they have learned about their musher.



My Iditarod musher is Allen Moore. One thing I have learned about him is his wife is Aliy Zirkle who is also a musher in the Iditarod.
~Lucy

The musher I chose to study is Cody Strathe.  His team name is Team Squid.
~Logan

I am following Katherine Keith. She is in 31st place as of 3/7/18. She also has 15 dogs on 3/7/18. She is a fitness coach.
~Jocelyn

Over the week we have each been following a musher that is participating in the
Iditarod. I am following Jessie Royer. She started out in fourth place, then went
down to fifth place, and then went to sixth place and jumped back up to fourth
place. It has been fun seeing all of the reactions on peoples’ faces when they
find out what place their musher is in. Some mushers have dropped out of the
race because of health issues. It is amazing watching all of the dogs running
their hearts out. Last, but not least, we are going to learn a song about the
Iditarod. Almost everybody in the fifth grade has heard this song since the
second grade. I am really excited to present my research at our school’s
community meeting.

-Cordelia

I’ve learned that my musher, Martin Buser, has had four 1st place awards in some
of his Iditarods. His family is supporting every Iditarod he does. Martin has two
sons, Rohn and Nikolai, both named after two of the checkpoints in the Iditarod.
He has high hopes of winning a good place in the race.
-Lily

I am following Linwood Fiedler. I have learned that he has a wife and family that
supports his racing.
-Alexander

My musher is Kristy berington and she is the twin of Anna Berington.
-Makayla

I am following Joar Leifseth Ulsom in the Iditarod.  I learned that Joar holds the
record as the fastest rookie to have ever run the Iditarod, and is one of only two
mushers to place top-7 five times in as many Iditarod starts.
~Bennett

The musher I am learning about is Matt Hall. He is a 26 year-old Alaskan native who won the Yukon Quest (another sled dog race) in 2017.This Iditarod that he is participating in this year is his first. In the past, he has won rookie of the year and the veterinarian’s choice award. He has 35 sled dogs as well as some new puppies.
-Nolan

I am following the musher Tara Cicatello. I learned that she is a rookie and a hobby
she has is making people smile.
--Addyson

The musher I am following is Brett Bruggeman, I have learned that he became a
musher for the interest in his son who has a defect in his leg.
-Ella

In the Iditarod race I’m following a musher named Jeff King. I learned that he has
won 1st place 4 times, 2nd place 2 times, and 3rd place 7 times!!
             --Paige































































No comments:

Post a Comment