Sunday, April 2, 2017

Highlights in 5B for the week of April 27, 2017

A couple of new things:

1.  On Friday I let students know that I will no longer be checking their planner each morning for a parent signature.  As they prepare to transition to the middle school, this is a chance for them to become more independent about recording and completing their homework.  

2.  In this week's post I have included words from the students about what we have been up to in 5B.  It's a nice way for them to practice their communications skills.  I hope to make this a regular part of the blog... enjoy!

Fact Fluency 
This week, students learned a new game called Good Times to help with their multiplication facts. Here is what a couple of students had to say about our fact fluency sessions:

The 5B fact fluency really, and I mean really, is helping with the really hard math problems with fractions and stuff like that. I am working hard and the fact fluency games make it easier for me to do math problems.
                                          -Gail and Aidan





Earth’s Systems:  The Rock Cycle Starburst Lab
In 5B we did a science experiment with Starburst. The first thing we did was smushed them which represented sedimentary rock. Then we put it in hot water and squashed it some more, and that represented metamorphic rock. Then we rolled it into a ball and let it cool which represented igneous rock. Then best of all, we ate it!
--Sadie



















Ella brought in real volcanic rocks to share during our rock cycle lab! Students enjoyed looking at, and touching, them.  It was wonderful to have them as part of our making meaning science discussion after the Starburst rock cycle lab.  They added a lot to the discussion and students were able to relate these real volcanic rocks to the rock cycle.




Earth's Systems: The Biosphere
This week we transitioned from the geosphere to the biosphere. Students worked together to create posters of what things, and systems, they think belong in the biosphere. They will continue to explore the biosphere over the next few weeks. Here they are sharing their posters and their initial thoughts about the biosphere:



 



Reading:  I Survived series books
In 5B we are reading the I Survived series books. I love to read the books because they are both nonfiction and fiction. These books make me want to read more and even write a book of my own. The books are very interesting and have many supporting details. I suggest reading these books for people who like nonfiction and fiction. My favorite I Survived book is, I Survived The Eruption Of Mount St. Helens, 1980.
--Leiyah

No comments:

Post a Comment