Thursday, October 10, 2019

5B Classroom News: Week of October 7th

A note from Mrs. Burke:
We have had another wonderful week of learning! The students continue to be excited about school and their behavior has been exceptional. It is so nice to have a room full of kind and respectful students. In fact, I think their future's so bright, they need to wear shades:



The students have created some beautiful artwork during art class. Recently, they created Grumpy Monkeys. Click here to see their talking monkeys on the art blog.

Also, Mrs. Bristow, the Spanish teacher, has shared links to songs that students are learning during Spanish class. Please click here to get the links to the songs so students can practice the songs at home, too.

Keep reading to see what our classroom reporters posted this week:


Science:  Structures and Properties of Matter

Oil Rainbows

What did you observe during the first day of the Oil Rainbows investigation?
What do you expect to see when we take the jar out of the freezer?

I observed the rainbow ice dropping tiny colorful bubbles on the bottom of the jar on the first day of the investigation. I think when we take the jar out of the freezer it will be frozen.
-Aaron

The ice cubes were melting in the oil and making cool colors of droplets. A different shapes of ice cubes.
-Liam

One thing I observe for the oil rainbows investigation was that the bubbles from the ice were going to the bottom/ top of the jar. I expect to see the oil frozen and the ice to be bigger.
 -Alisha

During our oil rainbows investigation I observed that every 4 minutes the ice cubes got smaller and grouped themselves together and eventually started coming apart, bubbles were coming out of the ice cubes and landing on the bottom of the jar. When we take the ice cubes out of the freezer I expect to see all of the liquid freeze with splotches of color and I think there will also be oxygen bubbles at the bottom of the jar.
-Cody

What I observed during the first day of the oil rainbows investigation was it looked like it was raining and what I expect when we take the jar out of the freezer is a big clump.
-Triv-Ann 

One thing I observed during the first day of Oil Rainbows investigation is that towards the end of the time the three ice cubes had all fused together and looked like a blob of color!  When we take the jar of oil out of the freezer I expect to see that the oil has frozen and the drops of water in the bottom have frozen into marble-like things and the ice cubes are stuck in the middle.
-Colin

So in science we did the Oil Rainbows investigation. It is really cool! At first it looked like colored ice in some oil, but at the end it looked like a glass of color and fun. When we take it out of the freezer I think it will look like a rainbow jar.
-Charleigh

What I observe about the Oil Rainbows investigation was the ice started sticking together and dropping color into little circle drops. What I expect to see when we take the jar out of the freezer frozen is oil, colors, and little drops of color of the bodom of the jar.
-Peyton

During the first day of the Oil Rainbows investigation I observe that it wasn’t really like a rainbow. When we take the jar out of the freezer I expect to see everything frozen.
-Emmariah

I expect to see the oil to freeze and the cubes to get bigger and the bubbles to form back into cubes.
-Riley 

I saw little bubbles at the bottom of the jar. They were so cool! I Can't wait to do it again and when it's all frozen.
-Kady








Language Arts:  Esperanza Rising

Image result for esperanza rising

Whose human rights were threatened in the chapter called “Las Cebollas” in Esperanza Rising and how were their human rights threatened? 
How did it make you feel? Why?

It made me feel bad because in that people die and they don't have much stuff. People took lots of their families rights away.
-Liam

In the chapter “Las Cebollas” number 12 was threatened because on page 113 it says, “Everyone in camp knows each other’s business.” It made me worried and not safe because what if it was personal and you didn't want anyone to know.
 -Alisha

One of the human rights of the UDHR is number 10 because they kept on calling her Cinderela. Right number 10 is The Right to Trial. It makes me feel angry because she doesn't know how to sweep with a broom. 
-Peyton

Esperanza’s Article 26, 12 and 2 were threatened when Marta laughed at Esperanza for not knowing how to use a broom. I made me feel mad because you shouldn't make fun of any one.
-Max

No comments:

Post a Comment