Sunday, March 8, 2020

5B Classroom News: Week of March 2nd

A note from Mrs. Burke:
There have been exciting things going on this week!

As part of our unit about Regions of the United States, students have been learning about the Iditarod. The Iditarod is an annual dog sled race that takes place in Alaska (the western region of the U.S.) in March and takes about 8 - 15 days to complete. This year the trail is 975 miles long. Students have formed Fantasy Iditarod Teams based on research they completed on each musher. Along with following their fantasy team on the trail, they have each picked an individual musher to track during the race. As part of this project, on Monday we were fortunate to have a visit from the Braeburn Siberians, sled dogs from Windsor, Vermont. Later in this blog you can read student reflections about this special event.

On Friday, students enjoyed a visit from an author! Her name is Lindsey Stoddard and she has written the following books: Just Like Jackie, Right and Rain, and Brave Like That. She was born and raised in Vermont, and now lives in New York City.



Just a reminder that it's time to sign up for conferences. Last week I sent a sign up form via email. Please click here to sign up by Thursday, March 12th.

Keep reading to see what our student reporters posted to our blog this week!

Sled Dogs Visit: Braeburn Siberians




Take a look at some videos with the sled dogs:









Why did the sled dogs come and visit our school this week? 
What is something new you learned about sled dogs?
What was your favorite part of the visit from the sled dogs?

We had the sled dogs come visit our school this week because we are starting to study about the Iditarod Sled Dog Race. One thing I learned about the sled dogs is that to make them go you say "Let's Go!" My favorite part of the visit was patting one of the dogs named Phoebe.
-Aaron

The sled dogs visited our school this week because we were going to do some stuff about the Iditarod. I learned that sled dogs are very nice. My favorite part was when we got to meet the dogs.  
-Ben

Because we are studying the Iditarod . Something I learned is that if they have a blue collar than it's a girl and if it's red than its a boy. My favorite part was when we got to pet them.
-Kayd

They came because we are learning about the Iditarod. I learned that they have to make sure the dog pads are fine. I loved the dogs when they gave me kisses and snuggling with them.
-Liam

The sled dogs came so we could learn more about them with our Iditarod project coming up. I learned that they not only have a tug line, but they also have a neck line. My favorite part was petting and meeting the dogs. I loved seeing them and learning about them for the 2nd year. The dogs work their hardest and I loved watching professionals (the dogs) do it after we tried to. 
-Max

The sled dog came to our school because we are studying the Iditarod. What I learned is what the second partnership is called the pointer dogs. My favorite part of the sled dog visiting was seeing the dogs. 
-Peyton
































Language Arts:  The American Revolution

Image result for American Revolution
What is something new you have learned about The American Revolution during our language arts class?

Something I learned about The American Revolution during our language arts class is about the different sides.
-Andre 

Something new I have learned about The American Revolution during our language arts class is that some slaves were Loyalist so they could be free.
-Charleigh

During ELA I have learned about all of the events leading up to the American Revolution such as the Boston Tea Party and the Boston Massacre.
-Cody

What I learned new about the American Revolution during our language arts class is that the Boston Tea Party wasn’t a real tea party.
-Emmariah

Something I learned about the American Revolution during language arts was the Patriots (some were against the king) and the Loyalists (some were with the king).  
-Alisha

Something new that I learned was more about the Boston Tea Party.
-Kayd

That some people were Loyalist and others were Patriots and the Patriots would not pay the taxes.
-Liam

One thing I learned about the American Revolution during our language arts class was that there are different groups the Patriots and the Loyalists. The Patriots wanted no taxes for tea and nothing from England and the Loyalists did want things from England and wanted to tax the tea.
-Riley

Something that I learned about The American Revolution during our language arts class is that it started in the 1775.
-Triv-Ann



No comments:

Post a Comment