Sunday, February 2, 2020

5B Classroom News: Week of Jan. 27th

A note from Mrs. Burke
Students have been working hard on their writing skills. In language arts they are focused on narrative writing using our anchor text Esperanza Rising. Their narratives are based on a character in the book who is involved in an event from the story that involves a threat to a human right. Soon I will be extending an invitation for you to come in and listen to their monologues being read aloud. In social studies each student has been researching a region of the United States. They are writing a Painted Essay using their research notes. The have included lots of facts they have learned about their region.

During language arts class on Wednesday, we walked to The Quechee Library to see a photo exhibit called "Visible in Vermont: Our Stories Our Voices" in support of the human rights curriculum we are using. The students were very well behaved and took notes about what they saw. Below you will find their reflections about the exhibit. To learn more about the exhibit, please click on the link below to read a story published in the Valley News:


Also, our librarian has been working with the 5th grade on a hunger awareness program. The chef from Trailbreak, added an item to his menu based on the 5th graders conversation with him about healthy eating. Here is a description of the taco they have added to their menu for a limited time:

House smoked bacon with macerated tomato, onion, and cucumber salad, lemon crema, arugula, and gueso fresco


We don't know how long it will be on the menu, but be sure to ask for it if you stop in for lunch or dinner.

Please keep reading to see what our classroom reporters wrote about this week!

Language Arts: "Visible in Vermont: Our Stories Our Voices"




What did you notice about the photographs you saw at the Quechee Library?  What do they make your wonder about? How does this field trip connect to what you are learning about discrimination in language arts?

I noticed that people had positive faces even when they got discriminated against. This field trip connects to what I am learning about discrimination in language arts because they are really similar.
-Andre

All of them are colored or have a colored parent. They make me wonder if they ever got bullied for being a different color. The field trip connected with the discrimination in ELA by the people in real life are being discriminated because of their color or the color of their parent.   
-Alisha

noticed that most was about their color and if they don't look like them they would ask are you the nanny.
-Kayd

We saw different people and it is discrimination and we saw people be racist.
-Liam

I notice the pictures are most of the stuff they say doesn't seem very nice and so the people who say it shouldn't say it at all. What I wonder is that they are saying really mean things.  This field trip connects to what you are learning because it is violating human rights.
-Peyton

What I noticed about the photographs I saw at the Quechee Library was they were rude, racist, and non absorbent. What they make me wonder about is who said this and why. How this field trip connects to what we are learning about discrimination in language arts is our language arts we are talking about human rights and that is happening at the library.
-Riley











Spirit Day:  Sports Day

 

What did you wear on sports day to support your favorite team?  Why is this team one of your favorites?

I wore my Uconn Huskies shirt for Spirit Day! I wore this shirt because I like to wear it. GO Huskies!
-Aaron

I wore my Patriots shirt and my Tom Brady jersey on sports day to support my favorite team. This team is my favorite because they have the best players.
-Andre

On sports day I wore a Michigan shirt. This team is not my favorite. I wore it because it was the only sports thing I owned and I wanted to be a part of it.

-Charleigh

On sports day I wore an Upper Valley Nighthawks shirt and a Red Sox sweatshirt. The Nighthawks are one of my favorite teams because the players are very good with kids and they are a local team.
-Cody

On Sports Day I wore red socks (for the Redsocks), Storm (my hockey team) pants, Boston University t-shirt, Storm sweatshirt, Bobby Orr jersey, my Storm jacket, and a hat from the Beanpot.  These are my favorite teams because they are all local.
-Colin

What I wore on sports day to support a team was something I don't know because it was my brothers shirt. It is not my favorite team because I don't know what team it was.  
-Emmariah

I wore my Minicanes jersey and it's my favorite because I play on that team.
-Liam

I wore my Hartford soccer shirt. This is one of my faves because it’s the team I play for.
-Max

No comments:

Post a Comment