Sunday, May 6, 2018

5B Classroom News: Week of April 30th

A note from Mrs. Burke:
On Thursday I sent a letter home with students about the upcoming Vermont Science Test that the 5th graders will be taking later this month.  We will start working with the practice test this week so that the students are comfortable with the format and tools available to them.  This is a computerized test.  Please click here to view the letter I sent home.

Keep reading to see what our classroom reporters posted this week!


Integrated Studies:  Independent Research on Regions of the United States


For Independent research, I am studying the Midwest. The Midwest has a rich
history that I enjoyed learning about! One thing I learned about the Midwest is
that Lake Superior (which touches parts of the Midwest) is the biggest freshwater
lake based on surface area.
~Paige

In integrated studies I am learning about the Southeast region of the United
States. I have learned that the Southeast region  was one of the first places
explored by the Europeans and is the oldest continuously occupied settlement
in the country.
-Faith

The Southwest is the  Smallest smallest region in the United States. It has four states.
-Julian

In Integrated Studies I am learning about the Midwest region. In the Midwest the land is not all that flat. That is one fact about the Midwest.
- Larkyn

I am studying the West region of the United States.  So far, I have learned that people in the West could see cacti, mountains, forests, glaciers, even volcanoes all in this region.
-Bennett

I am learning about the Southeast region.  I learned that the Southeast region has 14 states and the District of Columbia.
----Addyson



One thing that I learned while playing the American Trivia game is that the
French built Fort Ticonderoga.
~Lucy








Math: Math Monsters



Math monsters are very fun activities that we during math. In a step by step process, math monsters include doing multiplication, completing a dot-to-dot sheet, coloring your monster, and writing a silly story to go along with it. One of my stories was about a very discriminated troll who wants to play for the Florida Panthers NHL team but gets rejected. In the end, he creates his own league only for trolls and the play at WABA.
-Nolan

Math Monsters are super fun and help multiplication facts stick in your brain.  The first step to completing your Math Monster is solving a sheet of multiplication problems.  Then you do a dot to dot sheet. The products are how you finish the dot to dot sheet. (That is also how you check your answers.)  After completing the dot to dot, you color it. And finally you write a story to go along with the picture. My favorite story I wrote in Math Monsters is about a tiki monster.  In this story the monster is writing a letter to the world, saying that he is doing fine, but is lonely.
-----Addyson

Math monsters are a fun way to do math and they’re made like this: 1. You
do some math 2. You outline the numbers using the math and 3. You color it
and right a story for your monster.
-Chandler










Art Class:

Image result for wonder by rj palacio

We are doing really cool portraits of ourselves based on the book Wonder.
It was difficult to have to make my hairline the way it is, and to make my
hair the correct way. I got frustrated when it came to making my face shape
right. But in the end, the full face turned out okay.
-Lily


Second Step: Learning How to State the Problem Without Blame

Image result for second step

To not blame someone you could say, both of us, we both, we all. Those are some words you could use to say a problem without blame.   
- Ella











Whoosh, Whoa, Pow Activity:



Whoosh, Whoa, Pow was an activity that I learned in a theater master class
that I attend. The objective of this game is to pass the energy around in a
circle by making movements and sounds. This game requires you to think
on your feet and know what the person before you did. For that reason it
was pretty hard to play. Considering the fact that I was the only person who
had played this game before we did a very good job. I hope that maybe
sometime in the future we can play this game again.
~Cordelia

The class played a game in the morning on Wednesday. The game is called Whoosh, Whoa, Pow! In the game there is ‘energy’ being passed by whoosh or pow. Whoa stops the energy from coming to you, if both of the people next to you do whoa then you do pow. Pow is passing the energy to a person that is not next to you. Whoosh is where you take the energy and pass it to one of the people next to you.The actions are simple, for pow you clap forward and say ‘pow’, for whoosh, you have to open your arms like a hug and say ‘whoosh’ while swinging your arms forward around the person next to you. Whoa is were you hold up both hands and say ‘whoa’. The game is very fun and I hope to do it again sometime. The game was easy to play and would be fun in a house as a family activity.
~Jocelyn

Personally, I loved the Whoosh, Whoa, Pow activity. My favorite movement was the pow. This was my favorite because I could give the responsibility to someone completely different who is not next to me. Also, it gave me a lower chance of being denied by someone. Overall, I am thankful to Cordelia for introducing me to that game.
-Nolan

It was a good game and not that hard to play, actually fun. One thing that I had to keep focus on was the other players eyes because when the player did a pow and they pass to you they look you in the eye and said pow.
- Alexander

The Whoosh, Whoa, Pow activity was easy most of the time, and hard at some
points during the game, but super fun.  You need to make sure you were making
eye contact with the person that had the “powers” of Whoosh, Whoa, Pow while
playing the game.
-Lyssette

I liked the game because it was something I never heard of the game and I
thought it was difficult at first but it was fun once I got the hang of it.
--Makayla

The Whoosh, Whoa, Pow activity was a little hard because I could not decide
what to do when it was my turn.  What I needed to do while playing the game
was making eye contact because let's say I did a pow, I transferred it to
somebody else but you need to make sure they knew if it was them or the
people next to them.  
- Ella



 



 














No comments:

Post a Comment