Saturday, April 7, 2018

5B Classroom News: Week of April 2nd

A note from Mrs. Burke:
The students have been working very hard this week on the SBAC tests.   We completed the math tests this week and will continue with the language arts tests next week.  I am very proud of them for their perseverance and not giving up when the questions are hard.  

This week students wrote about what they have been learning in integrated studies, Second Step, math and STEAM.  Take a look at what they posted.

Our next post will be after the April break.  I hope everyone has a relaxing vacation and gets a chance to get outside and enjoy some spring weather.... I'm hoping warmer weather is on the way!


Integrated Studies: Regions of the United States



I am learning about the Southeast region of the United States. I included
the 14 states that are in the Southeast in the introduction to my essay.
~Lucy

In steam where building things.
-Logan

The region my group and I are studying is the Southwest. The essay
we are writing includes information like/about; “The Southwest is the
smallest region based on the amount of states including Arizona,
Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico.” and;  “The Southwest has a
very interesting nickname, “The sunny Southwest” the reason it's
called the sunny Southwest is because of the high and extreme
temperatures.”
-Lyssette

I am learning about the Midwest region of the United States and I
learned that this region has loads of tourists, millions go to Chicago alone.
-Bennett

The region I learned about in Integrated studies is the Midwest.  The first
two sentences I wrote in my introduction are, ‘’ The Midwest region of
the U.S. has lots of interesting artifacts, towering cities and especially
grassy plains.  The twelve states in the Midwest includes Ohio, Indiana,
Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota,
South Dakota,...’’
---Addyson

My peers and I are learning about the southeast region.  The information
that is in our introduction is there are fourteen states in the southeast such
as: West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, Delaware,
Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and
Arkansas.
-Ella


Second Step: Learning How to Avoid Assumptions 

Image result for second step

I learned to avoid assumptions.
-Julian


In Second Step we are learning about taking put downs.
- Larkyn

During Second Step, students practiced skills they learned so they could
avoid making assumptions.















Math:

In math it has been fun and we are learning about fractions on a number line.
-Chandler



STEAM:

Image result for STEAM

In STEAM we are making creations out of recycled materials. I have decided
to make a polar bear out milk cartons to represent global warming.   
-Faith

In STEAM we are making new items out of recycled items. For example, I’m
making a dress out of a white trash bag, blue bottle caps, newspaper, and
bubble wrap. The top of the dress is a white trash bag and blue bottle caps
as stripes, and the bottom of the dress is made out newspaper and underneath
it is going to be bubble wrap. I think that making these items and other things
will help save, maybe a little bit but, the environment.
~Jocelyn

Soon, we are going to be making sculptures out of trash, or recycling. In my
opinion, it’s going to be a new fun experience for everyone in 5th grade. I like
how we got to see some examples of recycled items people use daily, and
turn it into something cool, useful or even pretty. From bottle-cap fish, to mini
claw machines, to maybe even a new pair of plastic glasses.
-Lily

In STEAM we are making thing out of recycled things.
-Sophia

We are learning how to turn trash into everyday things.
-Alexander

We are learning about cleaning the earth and how we will do it. What I am
doing is making a hockey stick and puck.
--Makayla

In STEAM we are making projects out of old junk and Coda and I thought
of a werewolf.
-Chandler

In STEAM we are learning about recycled projects made out of trash. There
were big things and small things, and this Friday we are going to build our
own things! I was inspired to build my project (which I can’t tell you what it
is…) by a video called Kane’s arcade. It is about a young boy who builds a
whole arcade out of cardboard. I am so excited for the future, and to see
how my project turns out!!!         
~ Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment