Sunday, February 4, 2018

5B Classroom News: Week of Jan. 29th

A note from Mrs. Burke:
Students got very excited this week about the Super-blue,-blood moon that appeared this week because we have been studying phases of the moon in science.  How timely for us! We spent some time in science learning about why this special view of the moon occurred, and looked at some beautiful pictures that were posted on-line.

Take a look at what the classroom reporters shared this week.  

First, I am posting some pictures they asked me to share while they had morning choice activities:


Using STEAM block.

Fine motor skills coloring.

Hour of code.

Practicing math apps on the ipads.

Artistic creations using play-doh.



Science:



The phases of the moon go through about one month and then start over again. It starts with a new moon at the beginning of a month and ends with a full moon at the end of a month.

~Lucy

Now in science we're learning about the moon and its phases and everything this week has been something happening to the moon.
      ~Logan

In science we are looking at phases of the moon. I know there are 8 phases of the moon. First, the new moon, the new moon has no light from the sun. The second phase of the moon is waxing crescent, it looks like the moon is a sliver. The third is the first quarter moon, half of the moon is is covered by shadows. Next, is the full moon, we see all of the moon, well the close side of the moon not the far side. The next phase of the moon is waning crescent, again the moon looks like a sliver crescent shape. Than a new moon, and the lunar month repeats itself.    
~Jocelyn

We’ve been learning about the phases of the moon and how the moon changes over the month.
  -Julian

What I know about the phases of the  moon is the process that causes the moon to appear at different phases is the far side of the moon. It receives just as much sunlight.  
-Ella

We are studying the moon phases.
- Larkyn

Here are some pictures from our phases of the moon science investigation:





















Language Arts: Writing monologues for characters in Esperanza Rising

Image result for esperanza rising

In language arts we are writing monologues about events that happened in the book Esperanza Rising. The event that I am writing about is when Isabel finds out that she will not be Queen of the May because she is Mexican. My monologue is focused on the teacher that decided who will be Queen of the May. I‘m really enjoying this challenging experience and I’m really excited to see how mine turns out and see my peers monologues as well.
            ~Cordelia

In Language Arts we are working on monologues based on  Esperanza Rising.
-Sophia

In language arts this week, I am part of a new group of people which includes Colby, Lily, and Larkyn. We are each writing our own monologue on the same topic. Our topic is Miguel losing his job and Esperanza arguing with him about it. The character I am playing is Esperanza.
-Nolan

My event  for my monologue is the threat to strike.  My character is Marta.
-Ella

Since students are working in groups on their monologues, they needed to come up with group norms for how they would work together:











Here they are acting out the scenes that there monologues are about:








Keyboarding Practice:


In school we have new keyboard covers that help us with typing.
  Faith

The new keyboarding practice is helpful at times, but I’ve noticed that some people don’t enjoy it as much as others. I for one, don’t really like using the covers, just because they are annoying, and they make my wrists itch. I don’t know why but they do help at times, but it was much easier to just look at your hands when you type. It’s difficult to not look at your hands, but with enough practice, we can master it.
-Lily

The keyboard covers are fun because they are a much harder way to type.
~ Colby

The keyboard covers are very helpful. The reasons it's very helpful are: so we can learn the home row on the keyboard, so we can look at the screen instead of looking at the keyboard, so we can type faster, and so we can all be better.
-Lyssette

The keyboarding practice is a very useful site for us to use.  I find it very fun while learning how to type.
  -Bennett

I think the new keyboard covers are good but I am not a good typer so it is really hard.  Otherwise they are nice and challenging.  They are helping me be a better typer.
---Addyson







Martin Luther King, Jr.
Students have been learning about Martin Luther King Jr. and one project they did was to write about a gift they would give to the world. This was inspired by the good work of Martin Luther King, Jr.

My gift to the world was to help homeless people, but there were no homeless people so that's good, so instead I spread kindness.
--Makayla

My gift to the world is kindness. If we give kindness to someone, hopefully they will be inspired to pass it on. If everyone does this, the world will be much happier.
-Nolan

My gift to the world was solving world hunger.
- Chandler

My gift to the world would be an amazing change: an end to discrimination. People are being discriminated all over the world, it is not right and I bet the United Nations would agree. If I had one gift to give to the world, it would be a total end to discrimination.
                                          -- Paige



Second Step: Students are practicing the steps for calming down when they have strong emotions.










No comments:

Post a Comment